Clarke County School District has a chance to become a stalwart school district that ensures every student who comes through one of our school’s doors has the opportunity to receive a top-quality education. This is why I am excited to be a candidate for the District 5 seat on the Clarke County School Board.
I will support CCSD students, parents, and teachers & staff by using my skills & experiences acquired thru 11 years of community organizing, 4 years as an Athens-Clarke County Commissioner, and 8 years serving on numerous boards & committees.
Supporting students & parents
- Hold regular townhalls with students & parents
- Attend Local School Governance Team & PTO meetings for District 5 schools and support these vital organizations
- Utilize social media and a monthly newsletter to communicate with the families and residents of District 5
- Prioritize equity in leadership decisions through racial, social, and enconomic justice lenses
- Find ways to directly empower students such as expanding scope of the Superintendent’s Student Advisory Council
Supporting teachers & staff
- Tirelessly advocate for fair wages & benefits to be paid to all CCSD employees
- Hold regular townhalls & roundtable discussions with teachers & staff
- Listen to teachers so that trust can be repaired
- Work to protect the workers rights of staff & teachers including the right to organize and unionize
Improving CCSD’s culture & community trust
- Advocate for an Open Door Democracy approach with the School Board & administration
- Push for more transparency and local engagement with ESPLOST process and annual budget
- Ensure that CCSD correctly follows all Open Meetings & Sunshine Laws
- Work with ACCgov & stakeholders to create School Safety Areas & further implement Safe Paths to Schools.
I look forward to sharing my vision for the Clarke County School District further over the coming weeks and working with the teachers, parents, and students of Athens to make a school district that works for everyone! For questions or information write to email@example.com